Friday, December 16, 2005

Out of the cold and dark

Lemuel spent yesterday sitting in the cold and dark. The ice storm that hit the southeast left me without power for most of the day. Also, my computer was online when the power went off and this fried my modem (I live out in country dial-up hell). I replaced the modem this morning after the power came back on and got back online

All I have to say is thank God for electric power and all the other blessings of modern technological society. We don't know how much we need and depend on them until they are taken away from us for a while. Get down on your knees and give thanks for the fact that you live in a country with political freedom and capitalist economics which allow us to provide so many good things to ourselves and the rest of the world. Things like satellite television and transplant surgery and flush toilets and clean drinking water piped right into our houses.

I'll stop now. If I go on I'll have written Ben Stein's next AmSpec column for him.