Friday, March 17, 2006

Range Report

I went to Rex's Indoor Range in Hendersonville, NC yesterday afternoon. I shot better then that I ever have in my life. This practice stuff really works!

If only I could have shot that well in the Glock match.

I was using NRA 50' slow fire pistol targets. The entire scoring area on one of those targets is only a little bigger than the 10 ring on the Glock targets. If I had shot as well in the match as I did yesterday I would have shot at least 480.

This is why participating in competition is important. It teaches you to function under stress. You may think that there is no comparison between a shooting contest where the only thing on the line is a plastic trophy or a plaque and a life-or-death gunfight. You are correct. In the real world there is no comparison, but to the body stress is stress.

Your body doesn't know why you suddenly have enough adrenalin in your system to power a medium sized rural farm for a month. It just reacts to it. The same auditory exclusion, tunnel vision and "hot dog finger" phenomena that you get in a real gunfight also plague you in competition.

Learn to deal with one and you will have a leg up on the other.