Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Take the back road

The other day while I was driving to Asheville I stopped here:



Today this is a standard tourist trap. Back in the day when the old twisty mountain road between Rutherfordton and Asheville, by way of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, was the main road, and horses were the way you travled, this place and places like it served a valuable puropse as way stations for lone travlers and stage coaches.


I found this out front:


This is a toy airplane made from surplus roofing materials. These used to be very common in the country. Dads would make them for their kids and their kid's friends to play with. You would see planes, trains, tanks, ships, submarines, and once the space program kicked off, rocket ships. What they all had in common was that they were made from whatever could be scrounged up and they were built to last. They provided boys with hours of fun.

I'm old enough to remember playing with things like this. I thought myself luckey then and I still do.

I may go back up that way this weekend and snap some more pictures.