Sunday, June 04, 2006

America's Worst President

Mother Jones magazine publishes an interview with former president James Earl (Jimmy) Carter. Here is a portion:

Mother Jones: In your book, you talk about the intersection in recent years of religious and political fundamentalism. What is the origin of this merger?

Jimmy Carter:, I think it was in 1979, when future fundamentalists took control of the Southern Baptist Convention, which is a very important religious and political factor in this country. After that, the Southern Baptist Convention had almost diametrically opposite basic principles than it had previously followed, and there’s been an evolution within the Convention toward a more and more rigid and strict creed that embodies the fundamentalist principles that I mention in the book.


Now, I don’t think there’s any doubt that the elementary principle of fundamentalism has existed for ages….The danger comes when those kinds of principles are applied on the international scene.

The blindness an stupidity of this little man are of cosmic proportions. I really think he is serious. I truly believe that he can look back at 1979 and see the growing threat to civilization in the Southern Baptist Church rather than the Iranian Islamic Revolution.

I would like to comment, but I am literally speechless.

Hat Tip: Dinocrat and The American Thinker