Friday, September 01, 2006

Brevad, NC


My work took me to Brevard, NC today. Brevard is the seat of Transylvania County. The word "Transylvania" means "land beyond the forest". North Carolina's Transylvania isn't so remote as Europe's, but it is still out of the way.

Whatever direction you look from downtown Brevard you see mountains. This is as it should be.

The area is upscale due to the fact that a large number of wealthy people maintain summer homes here and choose to retire to this area.

A wealthy customer base leads to lots of eclectic specialty shops and boutiques like the White Squirrel.

My Favorite is O. P. Taylor's. It is the coolest toy store in the world.


But don't just take my word for it.

O. P. Taylor's is a holdover from another era. There are no Playstations here. There are model trains, boats and airplanes. Both the kind you build for display and the kind you sail or fly.

They also have model rockets.

There are jigsaw puzzles both simple and complex. Board games and toy soldiers from every era. From knights in armor to modern Marines dressed for Iraq.

There are educational toys that home schoolers would find useful and the complete line of Hot Wheels, including the aircraft.

If I had found a place like this when I was a kid I would have wanted to live here.