Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The new "neo-cons"?

Jonah Goldberg posted this email that he received from a reader on The Corner:

"300 director Zack Snyder says he feels no resentmenttowards the critics who pummeled his movie. 'Nah, Ilove 'em, they were funny,' he told Los Angeles Timescolumnist Patrick Goldstein in today's (Tuesday)edition. 'The reviews were so neo-con, so homophobic.They couldn't just go see the movie without trying toover-intellectualize it.'" (From IMDb news.)

"NEO-CON"? Every neoconservative review I read of it(Weekly Standard, etc.)- every conservative review,period- loved it. No one- conservative, liberal-mentioned a word about homosexuals that I know of. Ifanything, it was mainstream media liberals who hatedit. And the Iranians, of course.

So now, "neo-con" doesn't mean neoconservative, Jewishconservative, conservative- nothing even political. Itjust means "someone I don't like, and by the way, Idon't like Bush." Lovely.

I have to agree with that reader. My review was the most negative of any conservative that I've seen and my problem with the movie was with the style more than the substance. The fact is that I like the pro-military, pro-war (in the right cause) message as much as any other right-winger.