Sunday, November 19, 2006

The East is awake

From The Brussels Journal:

A quote from Mart Laar at The Brussels Journal, 27 August 2005

It is very fortunate that I was not an economist. I had read only one book on economics – Milton Friedman’s “Free to Choose.” I was so ignorant at the time that I thought that what Friedman wrote about the benefits of privatisation, the flat tax and the abolition of all customs rights, was the result of economic reforms that had been put into practice in the West. It seemed common sense to me and, as I thought it had already been done everywhere, I simply introduced it in Estonia, despite warnings from Estonian economists that it could not be done. They said it was as impossible as walking on water. We did it: we just walked on the water because we did not know that it was impossible.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty"
--Malcolm Reynolds

This is why I think Eastern Europe is going to be an important ally in the coming war.