Friday, November 10, 2006

To impeach or not to impeach?

Mayor Koch sounds a warning:

Some congressional leaders will push for President Bush's impeachment now that the Democrats have taken control of the House and possibly the Senate, former New York Mayor Ed Koch predicts.

"I expect that [Rep. John] Conyers as chairman [of the House Judiciary Committee], now with great freedom, will do anything he can to commence such impeachment or investigatory activity, and we'll see whether Pelosi will prevent it," Koch says.

Both Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean have said that Bush will not be impeached. And just today John Conyers issued a terse statement confirming that impeachment was "off the table".

However, at least at this point, Conyers has not withdraw his House bill which calls for the beginning of the impeachment process.

I believe that the impeachment issue is the key to limiting the damage that the Democrats will be able to do in the two years left until the next election. I intended to post about this today, but I had to spend the day on the road and I'm just too tired. I'll try to put it up tomorrow evening.