Thursday, January 18, 2007

Art Buchwald 12/12/1925 - 1/17/2007

From The Washington Post:

Art Buchwald, 81, the newspaper humor columnist for more than a half-century who found new comic material in the issues that come up at the end of life, died of kidney failure last night at his son's home in Washington, his family announced today.

The last time I remember hearing Art Buchwald's name in the news was when he held his 80th-birthday party at the French embassy in Washington DC. The birthday party doubled as a fundraiser for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Mother Calhoon always told me that it was wrong to speak ill of the dead and if I didn't have anything good to say about someone that I shouldn't say anything. So in that spirit here are my remarks about the life and legacy of Art Buchwald: