Saturday, August 04, 2007

Earthquake in the mountains

A little after 6:00 AM today an earthquake measuring 2.1 on the Richter scale struck near Lake Lure, NC. This is about 11 miles from my home. I happened to be awake and remember that it felt is as if a tree had fallen and clipped the house. I armed myself (in case the whole thing involved a car full of drunken Mexicans ramming the front porch) and checked the house out inside and out. It did not occur to me that there had been an earthquake until a couple of hours later when I heard about it on a local radio station.

No damage was reported in the Lake Lure or Chimney Rock areas.

I cannot find any online news story about the incident, but will keep looking.

I and my home are unharmed and no Mexicans were harmed in the production of this blog post.