Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tonight's Music


This is from Irish group Altan's CD Blackwater. The song is called A Stor, A Stor, A Ghra which means "A Star, A Star, My Love".

Here are the lyrics in Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) and the English translation:

One fine summer's day
I mo sheasamh ar an mhargadh
As I stood there in the marketplace
'S is iomaí fear a dúirt liom
Many a young man remarked
"Monuar, gan tú sa bhaile agam"
"I'm sad you're not at home with me"

Chorus (after each verse):
A stór, a stór, a ghrá
A star, a star, my love
A stór, a stór, an dtiocfaidh tú?
A star, a star, will you come with me?
A stór, a stór, a ghrá
A star, a star, my love
An dtiocfaidh tú nó an bhfanfaidh tú?
Will you come with me or settled be?

Gheall mo ghrá domsa
My true love promised kindly
Cinnte go dtiocfadh sí
That she would surely come with me
Ní raibh a culaith déanta
Her wedding dress not ready
Agus sin an rud a choinnigh í
Delayed her in joining me

Tá an t-uisce ag teacht ón Éirne
We've got water from the Eirne
Is tá an féar ag teacht ó neamh chugainn
And green grass from the heaven's stems
Tá utha na mba á réabadh ar mhéid
Cow's udders are near rending
Is 'tá de bhainne acu
From the overflow of milk in them

Thart tóin an gharraí, a Mháire
By the bottom of the garden, oh Mary
Bhfuil an fhidil leat?
Is the fiddle there?
Aicearra na bprátaí go dtéimid
The shortcut by the praties
'Sair an fhidileoir
We'll hasten to the fiddler

Bhí mise lán den tsaol
At one time in my life
Is bhí cion amuigh is istigh orm
I was dearly loved by everyone
Nach mór a d'athraigh an saol
Haven't times changed a lot
Nuair nach bhfuil cion ag duine ar bith orm?
When no one cares a whit for me?